Many people love to enjoy that big cup of coffee or tea when they wake up in the morning. For most, it’s a natural routine. Many athletes in the CrossFit world do the same thing. However, they might be drinking it for a different purpose, not just to stay awake. I’ve been reading many articles lightly about the benefits of drinking coffee and dark tea before working out. Unfortunately I’m not talking about the fancy coffee with all the sugar added though, it’s just plain ole’ black coffee.
Here are a few things I found:
- Accelerates Fat Loss– drinking coffee before a workout has fat burning properties. When consumed before working out, it can cause fat cells to be used as an energy source. Also high amount of caffeine in black coffee will increase your metabolism and along with other compounds in coffee, it can act as an appetite suppressant.
- Increase Performance– Several Studies have found a link between caffeine intake before exercise and increased athletic performance.
- Improves Focus– Mental focus helps keeps workouts productive and effective.
- Decrease Muscle Pain– You can complete more reps at a higher resistance during your weight training sessions, and run faster and longer during cardio workouts.
- Improves endurance– A 2005 meta-analysis concluded that caffeine can reduce your perceived level of exertion by more than 5%- effectively making your exercise feel “easier”.
- Helps Prevent Disease– Coffee contains high amounts of antioxidants which has an inverse correlation with diabetes, Parkinson’s Disease, Alzheimer’s Disease and certain forms o f cancer.
- Muscle Preservation– research from Coventry University found that caffeine helped offset age-related loss of muscle strength, suggesting that caffeine may help preserve your muscles as you age and reduce risk of injury.
Keep in mind that these are general theories and only a few of the many studied. Not all may apply to everyone. If you are interested on reading more about Coffee/Caffeine/ Tea intake, Click on the links below.
Happy Snow Day,