Why is it so important to take care of your spine and your child’s spine? Oh boy! So glad you asked:)
So minus the big words….A proper examination can reveal areas of our spine that are malfunctioning. This results in nervous system compromise (a.k.a. life line down), impairment to muscles that support the spine, and damage to other soft tissues of the spine and ultimately the body. All of this then sets into motion that ugly term we are all afraid to hear, arthritis (a.k.a. degenerative process).
1. Abnormal motion or position of spinal bones. Physical trauma such as improper lifting, car accidents, repetitive motions (I call this occupational hazards), and poor sleeping habits can cause spinal problems. But please don’t forget emotional stress and chemical imbalances are common culprits, too.
Like the tires on your car, without proper alignment, your spine can experience uneven wear and tear.
2. Abnormal nervous system (Life line) function. Improper motion or position of spinal bones can rub, irritate, pinch, or choke delicate nerves. Here is the MOST IMPORTANT fact…this can impair the function of the tissues, organs, and systems controlled by these nerves.
The flow of life or information is compromised in nerve tissue like traffic congestion at the site of an accident or breakdown.
3. Abnormal muscle function. Muscles supporting the spine can weaken and atrophy, or become tight and spastic. Then, scar tissue and adhesions penetrate these malfunctioning muscles, changing their elasticity.
Like the stronger team in tug of war, imbalanced muscles can cause function problems.
4. Abnormal soft tissue function. Discs (cushion between spinal bones), ligaments, and other soft tissues can malfunction too. These soft tissues have a poor blood supply so proper healing often takes time. Sometimes far after relief is experienced.
The inflammation and rise in temperature form soft tissue damage is a lot like a bad sunburn…Painful!
5. Abnormal function of the spine and body. The body responds to the first four preceding factors mentioned above. Bone spurs, spinal decay, fusing joints….arthritis. As if that is not bad enough, these degenerative changes can be seen in other organs and tissues which have been deprived of normal nerve flow.
Which brings me to “Quality of Life.” Nothing is more important. Have a super week!
McNicholas Family Chiropractic
56 Center Street Street
Southington, CT 06489
phone: (860) 276-9970
fax: (860) 276-9717