Check out some of the Unwritten Rules of Crossfit put together by the Box Life Magazine Team, with a few added things of my own:
1. Be honest. No rep your no reps and only mark that you completed the workout “RX” when you performed everything as programmed and to form standards. Though the score’s on the board, you’re really only competing against yourself.
2. Give your best every day, and know that your best will change from day to day. Some days you feel like a Superhero, other days struggle to walk through the door. Just give your best and forget the rest.
3. Don’t be THAT guy.
4. Motivate your fellow athletes. Everyone needs help sometimes.
5. Be social. Introduce yourself to the newbie. Make a new friend.
6. Check your ego at the door (and scale when necessary, the wod is usually harder than it looks). Just because the person next to you is doing the workout RX doesn’t mean that you need to too. Work hard to perform at your level and remember everything is relative to each individual athlete.
7. Work on your weaknesses; skills need your undivided attention. A little bit of accessory work here and there can do wonders.
8. Be patient with your progress, some things take time.
9. Have fun!
10. Put your equipment away (where you found it). No, the 25lb kettlebell doesn’t go with the 75lb kettlebells.
11. Eat right, whatever that means to you. Spend the money and the time getting it right. Need a kickstart? Check out our very own Box Bistro for your nutrition needs.
12. Don’t avoid WODs because you don’t like them. Most of the time, that’s exactly what you need. Cherry Picking will do you no good.